CyberKnife is not a knife at all and there’s absolutely no cutting involved. In fact, CyberKnife is a painless, targeted, radiation treatment that can be an alternative to open surgery and conventional radiation. CyberKnife is also used to treat tumors that may be considered inoperable or untreatable or recurred after a prior treatment.
CyberKnife is actually a robotic radiation therapy that sounds like its surgery, but it’s not! It is a non-invasive procedure that treats cancerous and non-cancerous tumors and is offering new hope for many patients around the world.
CyberKnife is not a knife, it is advanced technology that uses image-guided robotics to precisely and non-invasively destroy tumors and other lesions with multiple beams of high-energy radiation. It targets tumors with pinpoint accuracy, delivering radiation directly to the tumor, while leaving healthy surrounding tissue untouched. Because of this missile- guided technology, CyberKnife can track the tumor even when a patient moves or breathes during treatment.
One of the many benefits of CyberKnife therapy is that nearly everyone is an eligible candidate, even those with difficult-to-treat cancers or are medically frail.
For decades, undergoing cancer treatment usually meant suffering through debilitating side effects and took weeks or months to complete. Now, thanks to the CyberKnife system, treatment can be completed within a matter of days and with few to mild side effects, if any.
The bottom line is that CyberKnife technology allows us to manage and treat cancer like a chronic disease – similar to treating diabetes – while maintaining your quality of life throughout the treatment process.
The CyberKnife is ideally suited for patients who:
- Have a condition diagnosed as inoperable
- Are too young or advanced in age for frame-based radiosurgery
- Want or need an alternative to traditional open surgery
- Have received the maximum allowable dose of radiation
- Do not want to undergo a treatment using a stereotactic frame
- Do not want an additional operation to remove a recurrent or residual tumor
- Can benefit from the newly evolving applications for conditions previously not considered for radiosurgery
- Can receive radiosurgery treatment as adjunct therapy to traditional oncology care
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer or if you have a tumor that is non-cancerous, CyberKnife may be a great treatment option for you. Contact our office today to setup a consultation with one of our board-certified radiation oncologists to determine whether you are a candidate for treatment. Call our office at 305-279-2900 or visit us at www.cyberknifemiami.com.