by | Sep 20, 2019 | Uncategorized

Lung cancer is the second most common cancer in men and women, yet chances are, most people don’t know much about the disease. For example, did you know there are four types of lung cancer? That’s besides the two broadly classified types: small cell lung cancers (SCLCs) – which comprise about 10 to 15 percent of lung cancers and non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLCs) – which make up the remaining 85 percent.

Here are four types of NSCLCs that are designated by the type of cells found in the tumor:

  • Adenocarcinomas – These are the most common type of NSCLCs, accounting for up to 40 percent of lung cancer cases. Although associated with smoking, adenocarcinomas can also develop among non-smokers, notably women. They occur in the outer or peripheral areas of the lungs and tend to spread to the lymph nodes and beyond.
  • Squamous cell carcinomas – Squamous cell carcinomas, also known as epidermoid carcinomas, now account for up to 30 percent of all lung cancer cases. They occur most frequently in the central chest area in the bronchi, grow quite large into a cavity, and eventually spread to lymph nodes.
  • Large cell carcinomas – Least common of the NSCLCs, large cell carcinomas account for up to 15 percent of all lung cancers and have a tendency to spread to lymph nodes and distant sites within the body.
  • Bronchial carcinoids – These are generally small tumors that occur mostly in children under the age of four. They are unrelated to smoking, and although they can metastasize, they spread more slowly than bronchogenic cancers and can be surgically removed if detected early enough.

Treatment for Lung Cancer

The treatment you receive for lung cancer will depend on several factors, including the type of lung cancer you have. Radiation therapy is one of the more effective options. It can be used to kill cancer cells, reduce the size of tumors, or prevent cancer from metastasizing.

However, traditional radiation therapy comes with a host of side effects that can have a negative effect on your life while you get the treatment done. A better option than traditional radiation therapy is CyberKnife® radio-surgery, a painless, non-invasive form of high dose radiation therapy known for its nearly flawless precision in targeting lung cancer tumors.

With CyberKnife, the growth of a lung cancer tumor can be stopped, and tumors can be shrunk or eliminated. Used instead of or along with surgery, CyberKnife is delivered in three to five treatments.

Because of CyberKnife’s advanced, image-guided robotic technology, our team of radiation oncologists can control the radiation beams to perfectly match the shape of a tumor or lesions. The beams are delivered to the tumor from various angles, and the state-of-the-art equipment is able to adjust to the slightest patient movements during treatment, such as breathing. This precise delivery method quickly allows the cancer cells to be bombarded by the full dose of radiation, while the surrounding healthy tissue is left unharmed.

CyberKnife Radiation Treatment in Miami, Florida

If you have been diagnosed with lung cancer, CyberKnife offers you the most effective and least imposing radiation therapy available today. To discover more about this remarkable technology and whether you are a suitable candidate for treatment, contact the CyberKnife Center of Miami to arrange a private consultation. You can reach us at (800) 204-0455 or (305) 279-2900, or you can conveniently complete our secure online request form to make an appointment. And to learn more go to our website now www.cyberknifemiami.com.