If you or a loved one has cancer, you want to ensure that you’re getting the most advanced, state-of-the-art treatment available. Your treatment plan becomes even more important if you have a stage-4 diagnosis, which means the cancer has spread from where it started to another organ in the body (otherwise known as metastatic cancer).
CyberKnife is a breakthrough technology that utilizes a specialized form of radiation therapy, known as stereotactic radio-surgery, to treat cancerous and non-cancerous tumors and lesions. It has been shown to be a safe and effective treatment for many stage-4 cancer patients.
Why Choose CyberKnife for Stage-4 Cancer?
Unfortunately, aggressive treatments for stage-4 cancer – such as conventional radiation therapy or invasive surgery – can be hard on your body, involve a lot of downtime, and affect your quality of life. Fortunately, CyberKnife is a noninvasive method that helps treat recurrent cancer or metastatic tumors that may have spread to other areas of the body.
CyberKnife is an excellent choice for patients who have medically inoperable or surgically complex tumors. It is also a good choice for people who have already had radiation treatments.
With traditional surgery, it is often difficult or impossible – especially with metastatic cancer that is stage 4 – to remove the entire tumor and cancerous areas. However, CyberKnife is so accurate, that it can get to all areas and extensions of the tumor. Once the doctor targets the tumor, the radiation beam hits it precisely with radiation from more than 100 different angles.
Benefits of CyberKnife Radiation Therapy
1. It’s an excellent alternative to other treatments. CyberKnife is a great alternative if you are not a candidate for chemotherapy or surgery. It is also an excellent treatment for tumors that are inoperable or have already undergone radiation treatment.
2. There’s no hair loss. CyberKnife is targeted to a very specific area, which makes it very unlikely that you will experience hair loss. In addition, the radiation dose with CyberKnife should not cause permanent damage to your skin or hair follicles that the beam travels through.
3. There are no skin burns. You will not encounter skin burns as you might with conventional radiation treatment.
4. It’s noninvasive. The name is clever, but there are actually no knives and no cutting involved with CyberKnife treatment.
5. There’s no downtime. There is no hospitalization or anesthesia needed, which means no downtime or recovery. In fact, you can resume normal activities immediately following the treatment.
6. The treatment is fast. A treatment session lasts anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes, and it is performed as outpatient.
7. There are fewer sessions required than other types of radiation therapy. Typically only 1-5 CyberKnife sessions are needed for full treatment, as compared to 10-45 treatments of conventional radiation therapy.
8. It’s laser-accurate and precise. Whereas conventional radiation therapy can harm the normal, healthy tissues and organs near the tumor, CyberKnife radiation is targeted and spares almost all of the adjacent healthy tissue.
9. It has an excellent success rate. This radiation treatment is so precise that tumors often dissolve with great success, even for stage-4 patients.
10. It can treat tumors virtually anywhere in the body. CyberKnife can be used to treat cancerous tumors throughout the body, including the brain, lung, spine, kidney, liver, prostate, pancreas, head, and neck.
Cancer Specialists in Miami
CyberKnife offers new hope for people with stage-4 cancer. It offers a treatment option that is noninvasive, pain-free, and has minimal side effects. It offers options where there previously may not have been any. If you or a loved one has stage-4 cancer, call your doctor today to see if CyberKnife can help.
The cancer experts at the CyberKnife Center of Miami are here to help you. Our experienced physicians and nurses are cancer experts and can offer you the best advice on all of the treatment options available to you.
For more information, please contact us at (800) 204-0455 or (305) 279-2900, or you can fill out our online form to contact us and we’ll call you. We look forward to serving you.